Friday, September 25, 2009

Hope for progress

We have had a good school year so far. AP's teacher is great. The first time in years that I really feel she "gets it." She sees him and not the behaviors. She appreciates the good in him and sees the potential. I hope for progress. But this morning was my reminder that I can never think we are "through this." He had his first major meltdown of the year and left the school grounds. It's happened before, at least I don't go into panic mode anymore. I just join the search party and pray like crazy that he will be found safe and soon. He always is. And each time I hope it will be the last; that it will click and he will be able to think and control the impulses. He is getting better. But I have to remember we are never in "the clear." Autism is not a stage that we will somehow outgrow. It is our life and the demands of it, the pain, and the struggle are and ever will be present. I just have to focus on the progress. Both his and mine. Even if it's minor. Otherwise it's too much.

4 comments:

Katie and Kyle said...

I'm glad you found him safe. I love you.

Suzy Tranter said...

You are an amazing mother! He is so lucky to have you!

Nikki said...

That has to be one of the scariest things, having your child wandering away from school. I'm sorry. I didn't know you had to go through that ever. Your right about the progress though...it is enough to just see the baby steps and find joy in them.

Reminds me of my Sunday School lesson. It was about the pioneers and how they had "Faith in every footstep". That's how it is with us too. Just having faith that were doing the best we can every day and that Heavenly Father will bless us as we have faith with every step we take. You are awesome!

Henry Family said...

Keep it up! We love you...