Soooo, with that out of the way, AJ and AP have been begging for pets, but I told them they had to wait until the end of July when we would actually be around to take care of animals. They were pacified. That is until last week when they caught a garden snake in the yard. Although I really wanted them to get rid of it, they were so excited to finally have a pet that I figured it couldn't hurt to let them keep it (as long as they left it in the garage). Besides, snakes are sneaky so I figured it would escape soon enough and my worries would be over. It did (sigh of relief), but AP and AJ were quick to track it and a couple of days later it was right back in its cage. Now that we have had him two days, and AP and AJ have taken extra precautions to make sure he doesn't escape again, we had to figure out what it actually eats. I figured bugs would be the simple, and logical answer, but after a search online, we discovered garden snakes only eat worms and small mammals. . . or you could get snake food from a pet store. Ahh, the clean answer (or so I thought). So off we went to Petco for snake food. And what do you know, they had just the thing! They said we needed to feed it pink mice. Not only that, they had a nice little bag of them in the freezer, just for us (weren't we lucky). As if that alone wasn't enough, the bag was labeled "Gourmet Rodent." Ugh!! I could barely stomach the thought of picking the bag up let alone buying it and taking it home. So I walked around Petco trying to distract the kids and figure out a way out of this one. I couldn't come up with anything so I waited outside while AP & AJ bought their "snake food." Once home I kept a fair distance as they gave HUGZ (so named because he wraps around their wrists) his first gourmet meal (which apparantly he enjoyed). And now I have two happy kids, a full and (therefore I assume) content snake, and my own hungry belly. Because with this little bag of rodent in my freezer,
New Year's Eve
7 months ago
6 comments:
Sweetie, you've had some good blogs but this may be the best ever. You're awesome Babe; love you.
You are brave to let them have the snake. I think I will draw my line at a dog. Not a fan of small creepy or crawling things!
That packaging needs some serious relabeling! "Gourmet"!
But, I guess the snake is there to stay now that he's eaten such delicacies at your house. Good luck!
We miss you all. Hope you survive the pet saga. You're a nicer mom than I am. I don't know that I'd have let my kids keep any snake.--Vivian
You are brave Heather. And you did it out of the love which is the best part. I know I would have made up alot of excuses and made my husband do it.
Post a Comment