Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The story behind the cake

I thought that it would be fun for A&A to decorate my cake this year so the morning of my birthday we headed to the store to get cake mix and decorations. I told them before we left that the best present they could give me was to get along and treat each other nicely. They got off to a good start but once we got to the cake isle they couldn’t agree on decorations. So the arguing began. I told them that I decided I didn’t want a cake anymore because their arguing was ruining my birthday and pointed out that there were tears in my eyes. I started to leave the store and they started apologizing and rubbing my back, patting my arm etc, saying, “Mom we are so sorry! It’s ok, just relax, take deep breaths, just calm down. Let’s go back and we’ll agree we promise! We have to have cake for your birthday!”

So once we got the decorations and got home they set to work decorating. They had decided to do a garden because AJ wanted flowers and AP wanted bugs.

Overheard while they were working on it: “Let’s call it the 30th anniversary garden because mom is 30.” “Yeah, it’s so old that alien bugs have invaded it and taken over.” (AJ made up for that later when she told me I only looked 21, hee, hee).

As for the rest of the day, J came home from work early and we went to my favorite (the only) gluten-free bakery and cafe for dinner. Then I spent a couple of hours by myself (oh the novelty!!) walking around the mall. When I got back we had the cake and opened presents. After that we went down to the lake and J, A, &A took a pedal boat around while D and I played in the sand. How is that for a complete birthday?

4 comments:

The Thornleys said...

Happy Birthday!! And yes, you do look 21!!! Sounds like fun, and I love the cake!!

Henry Family said...

Glad you had such a beautiful day! That's some first class mom manipulation with the tears and the leaving the store. Way to go!

Amy said...

I am glad you had a good birthday! The kids did a good job on your cake. I was surprised when I hear you were 30, you definately don't look it! Happy Happy Birthday!

Troy and Heather said...

Sounds like a great b-day, especially the part that you got alone time. I know how nice that can feel. The kids did a great job on your cake.