Sunday, September 14, 2008

Just another manic Sunday

Today was stake conference so instead of church starting at 1 PM it started at 10 AM. Since J is away, I was on my own getting the kids ready and off. No problem. I packed the church bag the night before complete with paper, pencils, crayons, coloring books, board books, toys, snacks, even some surprise sonic coloring pages I had printed off the computer. Whew, that was ready. Then much to my delight, D slept until 9 so I had plenty of time to get the older two kids and myself ready. All I had left to do was get D dressed and fed. We were right on schedule. I sent AP and AJ out to the car while I gathered our monsterously huge church bag (which weighs a ton and is still not big enough to hold all of our stuff), D, the keys and a few other miscellaneous items. I went to step down to go out the garage door and my heel caught on the step. Already being off balance with my hands full and the heavy bag I couldn’t regain my footing and had just enough time to drop all the extra stuff and throw my now free arm over D’s head before he and I slammed in the wall. Fortunately he didn’t hit too hard, but does have a red mark and he did scream for a couple of minutes ( which of course made me want to cry I felt so bad). Well we finally got off but I could tell the back tire was low (even though I just had air put in it yesterday) so once we got to the church and found a place to park (which in and of itself took several minutes) I checked the tire and sure enough it is very low; almost flat. Well nothing I could do at that moment so off we headed inside. At that point, all of the opening stuff was over and the stake president was just beginning his talk. So much for being on time. Oh well. We sat at the very back of the primary room overflow in my hopes that if D needed to nurse I could do it discreetly in the corner and not have to march everyone off to the mother’s lounge. Well D didn’t need to nurse, but he did get very cranky/tired so I had to pace the hall with him. AP and AJ did well for the first while without me, but then kept coming out to ask questions/show me stuff, and rather than settle down D was getting more upset so finally I decided it was time to pack it up and head home. All in all I felt it was a good effort, and, for us, a pretty good Sunday.


No comments: